[fpc-pascal] Executable size question

L505 fpc505 at z505.com
Tue Jan 3 18:52:20 CET 2006

> Helo everyone, I would like to ask why are exes generated by FPC so big?
> Simple writeln('Hi'); has about 28 KB. Old FPC 1.0.0 for example  created
> for the same code only 14 kb exe.
> What Should I do to reduce the file size (without compression)
> Pianoman

You can work on a custom System unit to get the size down - I was thinking of doing
this for CGI applications to help uploading speeds, but I'm not sure yet whether it
is worth the efforts. My first priority is to take all the functions out of Sysutils
which don't rely on finalization, because sysutils hauls in 60K, and is a bigger
priority for size. Uploading a 60K CGI program is annoying for modem/lite speed Cable
users. Project is called CompactUtils and not completed yet.