[fpc-pascal] Ansistrings exported in DLL's - mystery

L505 fpc505 at z505.com
Tue Jan 3 03:30:23 CET 2006

Trustmaster from PSP project tells me he's been using Ansistrings in DLL without
problems. The entire psp.furtopia.org website is running a DLL with ansistrings in
it, he says.

He says he compiled it with FPC 1.0 a long time ago..

So the psp.furtopia website has been using ansistrings in DLL for ages now.

How can this be? How is it possible a website can run without any problems, using
ansistrings?

i.e. exporting functions like this:

function something(param: ansistring): ansistring;

Can it be pure luck that a website is running this long with ansistrings?

I guess I'll have to try and get a copy of some of the source code that is running
his DLL. I just find it hard to believe that the website has been up that long and
hasn't crashed with a memory management issue - the one Jonas and Marc and I talked
about earlier - the EXE/DLL freeing memory it didn't allocate, during a reference
count decrement.

Can it be something in FPC 1.0 compiler that allowed this to happen? I guess I'll
have to do more digging. I wish I could put an end to this and just use Pchars in
these DLL situations - but there's always some evidence of ansistrings working,
somewhere.

--
L505