[fpc-pascal] FreeType 2 with Free Pascal

Krishna v.krishnakumar at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 06:25:19 CET 2006

Hi Michael,

On 12/30/06, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, Krishna wrote:
>
> > That is all it does, generate glyphs. Do you intend to build a text
> > rendering subsystem? If not, then you are better off using Xft on X
> > and the native API on Win32.
>
> Yes and no. The fpimage system was designed to run on a systeem without
> graphical display:  Windows services or Linux servers without X.
> The use of freetype allows you to draw text on a bitmap and e.g.
> send it to a remote client. (e.g. from a cgi program)

Agreed but the common case is the window systems. Not using Xft means
that you have to (re)implement things like glyph caching, acceleration
using RENDER extension etc. For things like CGI, I think you're better
off using a canvas library (cairo, evas come to mind).

Another route is to dump fpImg and use a higher level canvas library
like cairo to do all the drawing. Donno about the performance
penalties but Gtk+ seems to be doing ok.

btw, is there a (free)pascal translation of the cairo headers?

Cheers,
Krishna
--
I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty
to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble !