[fpc-pascal] USB serial interface

Rainer Stratmann RainerStratmann at t-online.de
Thu Dec 28 22:36:25 CET 2006

Am Donnerstag, 28. Dezember 2006 14:03 schrieb Andreas Berger:
>  My problem is that there are cheap motherboards appearing
> that no longer have serial ports. I'm afraid that soon none will.
> Therefore I am looking for alternatives.

I'm running also a DOS Program and now it is ported to Linux.

Actually it runs on both platforms!

Graphical output is done with framebuffer mode and in Linux you can switch to
runlevel 2 (text mode only) and if you had set the correct graphical mode in
the bootloader you can switch into direct framebuffer mode from the console.
Using a Knoppix live Linux CD installed at the harddisk switching off the KDE
stuff.
It is not that hard that it may seems to port a DOS program to Linux I would
say now in a rewiev.
In Linux you have the advantage that you don't have to search for drivers and
so on...
I would like to add ISDN capability to the program. I don't now if it is that
easy in DOS... The same with Internet connectivity...
Also the Harddrive capabilities are not limited...
Also you can make a diskless-system easier...
Autostart you can also do and many things more...
When I switch to Linux I thought about if it is possible just to switch power
of without harddisc data corruption. With ext3 filesystem it is possible like
in DOS!

But there ARE actually embedded motherboards with 4 serial ports, but not that
cheap...

Rainer