[fpc-pascal] USB serial interface

Andreas Berger Andreas at TheBergerClan.org
Thu Dec 28 14:03:33 CET 2006

Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> I've come across a website discussing connection of a USB CD-ROM drive to a DOS
> system for booting purposes but I've not seen reference to serial devices. I
> think the people to ask about this might be Parallax since they use
> USB-connected serial ports for device programming, if anybody knows how to hook
> them onto older machines they will.

Thanks for the tip.
> My own feeling if you /have/ to have a DOS environment and don't mean something
> like the '98 DOS box would be to see if you could run the code under either
> DosEmu or Qemu, both of which allow guest session ports to be mapped to whatever
> hardware is supported by the host. I've got one system here where DosEmu has
> been set up to allow software direct access to an lpt port so it can control an
> EPROM blaster, but obviously that sort of thing wouldn't work where the physical
> device types differed.

Actually, I use DOS directly. I use cheap off-the-shelf motherboard for
an embedded system that our company uses. The motherboard talks the the
system (which may be spread over kilometers) via a single serial port at
9600 baud. My problem is that there are cheap motherboards appearing
that no longer have serial ports. I'm afraid that soon none will.
Therefore I am looking for alternatives.

Andreas