[fpc-pascal] How to choose a free software license (was LGPL vs MPL)

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 12:37:49 CET 2006

On 12/26/06, Gustavo Enrique Jimenez <gejimenez at gmail.com> wrote:

> when in doubt, I use LGPL

Unfortunately Gustavo, it isn't that simple.  :-)
Take the fpGUI widget set I am working on.  As it stands now, when you
create applications using the fpGUI widget set, it compiles straight
into you code, not as a separate linked library.

This means, using the stock standard LGPL, nobody may write commercial
(closed source) applications using the fpGUI widget set!  This is
stupid and not what I intended.

I want the developer to use the fpGUI widget set as they please, but
whatever they change or add to the widget set needs to be published.
For this to work I had to use the Modified LGPL (as used by Lazarus
and FPC) or use the MPL license.

--
Graeme Geldenhuys
There's no place like S34° 03.168'  E018° 49.342'