[fpc-pascal] RE: [lazarus] Article on Pixel.

Matt Emson memsom at interalpha.co.uk
Mon Dec 11 17:06:16 CET 2006

> I don't know all that much about graphics, but (Jedi-)SDL is a great 2D
> and 3D library that uses OpenGL. It can also use other platform
> dependant graphic engines like DirectX on Windows.

JEDI SDL is a Delphi (ObjectPascal) binding to SDL created by the JEDI
project (actually, I used to work for the same company as its lead
maintainer.) JEDI has nothing directly to do with SDL. No more than SDL.Net
does (a binding for C# and other CLR/.Net languages.)

> It is written in C++,

Actually its in plain old C AFAIA; but I may be wrong.. Certainly, it
presents a flat C style API interface.

> but there are versions for Delphi and FPC.

No, JEDI SDL is what you are thinking of. SDL is a seperate project.

> Unfortunatly it was never made compatible with TForm or to use with LCL or
VCL components.

SDL has nothing to do with the TForm hierarchy of components. It is more
like the GDI under Windows. It's a low level graphics API. It's not a widget
set.

HTH