[fpc-pascal] Implementing a true Singleton - Can we decrease the visibility of a method?

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri Dec 8 11:05:39 CET 2006

On 8 dec 2006, at 10:55, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

>  I still don't know why we can't decrease visibility in Free Pascal.
> Is there some internal language design that prevents it?

At least Borland explicitly says you cannot do that:
   http://info.borland.com/techpubs/delphi/delphi5/oplg/classes.html

"You can increase the visibility of a member in a descendant class by
redeclaring it, but you cannot decrease its visibility. For example,
a protected property can be made public in a descendant, but not
private. Moreover, published members cannot become public in a
descendant class."

Jonas