[fpc-pascal] Widget Sets, Lazarus, Graeme Project, FPC Win32

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 15:05:22 CEST 2006

> 1: Does Lazarus Work well in Win32 yet?

Yes!  For the most apps it works great.  We develop using Lazarus on
Windows and Linux.  We did pickup some slight functionality
differences between the two platforms, but nothing to major.  Then
again our app is not quite a standard looking app either.

> 2: Is it difficult to make a GUI that compiles for Linux and Win32 with
> Lazarus?

Not at all.  Just recompile the same app under each platform.

> 3: To Do it do you need to compile the actual FPC Compiler with Lazarus
> extensions or is it just Units you add to your code?

You only need to add the units you require.

> 3: If Lazarus is Win32 Capable, is Graeme's Widget Set work on Win32 also?

As Michael said.  They have nothing to do with each other.  I use
Lazarus as my development IDE (editor), but that is where it ends.
fpGUI does work under both Win32 and Linux though.

> I've tried Lazarus in the past, and didn't have much success. And frankly it
> seemed Linux Specific. I know there were developers porting it, but I never
> saw a working Win32 Demo.

This must have been a long time ago. Lazarus works great under both platforms.
I develop under Linux and my co-worker develops under Windows.
Sometimes I have to admit, I think Lazarus looks better under Windows.
 Maybe that is due to my default GTK1 widget set style.  (I hate the
default look of Gtk1).

> Bottom line is that I've been watching/waiting for Lazarus to Mature to the
> point to where you just download something, and can make a hello world

My client (Master Maths) have completely moved over to Free Pascal and
Lazarus as a development platform for their flagship product.  They
used to use Delphi 7.  FPC and Lazarus just gives them so much more
flexibility.

> 4: Has Lazarus progressed to this level yet?

For sure!

Regards,
  - Graeme -