[fpc-pascal] Widget Sets, Lazarus, Graeme Project, FPC Win32

Bisma Jayadi bisma at brawijaya.ac.id
Sat Aug 19 14:10:39 CEST 2006

> I've tried Lazarus in the past, and didn't have much success. And frankly it
> seemed Linux Specific. I know there were developers porting it, but I never
> saw a working Win32 Demo.

Hello Jason, I wonder... where have you been lately? :D Of course Lazarus
works great both on win32 and linux, and some other platforms as well. Yes, we
must admit that still there are bugs here and there but they're (mostly) not a
very critical bugs. I think Lazarus is "good enough" to build serious
applications. Some people had built some good applications using it.

> Bottom line is that I've been watching/waiting for Lazarus to Mature to the
> point to where you just download something, and can make a hello world
> dialog window in both Win32 and Linux and maybe toss some widgets on that
> dialog (Text Box, Combo Box, List, tree View, scroll bars, a data grid like
> MSFlexGrid, Labels, buttons, checkboxes, and maybe picture box or
> something).

If you demand a very complicated and complex component on Lazarus as we used
to see on Delphi, maybe it's not happen yet. But, almost every (standard)
common control that is required to build a working application are already
there. Of course, it's not impossible to build your own complex and
complicated components.

> Forgive my ignorance here, I have spent time trying to find out, and
> download stuff - but my efforts have been futile. Additionally, if it
> doesn't work on windows I get gun shy. Not because I'm a windows fan - I
> love Linux - but I TRY to write applications that compile on both.

Have you tried the latest Lazarus? It's v.0.9.16 beta, if I'm not mistaken.
I've been using it for a while, both on win32 (XP SP 2) and linux (SuSE 10.1).
  FYI... just to give you an example, I'm currently working on Database
Modeller similar to FabForce's DBDesigner
(http://www.fabforce.net/dbdesigner4) using Lazarus. Some basic features have
been done and it works nicely on win32 and linux.

Please visit the Lazarus' wiki to get more up-to-date informations. HTH. :)

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at:
http://beeography.wordpress.com