[fpc-pascal] Building FPC with gdb support for SPARC

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Aug 16 13:37:35 CEST 2006

Tomas Hajny wrote:

> I guess that you could still use the cross-compilation trick - bring the
> library from the target machine to your build machine and change the
> search paths (probably manually - using "-s" option and playing with the
> generated script.res before running the created ppas.sh) before linking.
>
> Some more tips (just ideas): Only IDE (fp) should be using libc (assuming
> we talk about Linux target), so only building that one on the target
> machine (make all in the IDE directory) should reduce the building time.
> Finally, it might be possible to build everything on the build machine
> (again use -s option when building, remove all "rm" commands from the
> generated ppas.sh before running it and possibly skip the linker too),
> transfer everything to target machine and relink there.

I'm going to drop working on the larger machine for the moment, I've just
checked and a basic "Hello World" works on it which is obviously a good starting
point. I will need to use it if I get as far as testing against Solaris 8 (I
hope to have Solaris 10 running on newer hardware, but am still trying to fit in
time to go collect it). I mean let's face it- what relevance is something with
8x 50MHz CPUs these days? :-)

> > Going back to the SEGV problem, is there any way that somebody with my
> > minimal
> > experience can tackle this?
>
> Possibly. You might try it with debug info (and line info) enabled binary
> to get backtrace. That might possibly help to shed some light on what's
> happening there at least; of course it doesn't automatically mean that it
> gets resolved, but there's a chance.

OK, that looks pretty good but any suggestions as to how I get the compiler
options in? Can I give make a -D, or do I need to break into the make process in
some way I don't yet understand, and how can I check that the generated binary
is in the intended state once it's built?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk