[fpc-pascal] another fpc RAD: MSEide

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Apr 19 11:55:05 CEST 2006

> > Smaller than FPC ? That shouldn't differ too much, I think.
> >
> From public.mseide-msegui.talk (news.dxmachine.com):
> "
> Some more exe sizes on linux, MSEide+MSEgui V0.8a, FPC V2.0.3:
>
> mseide without DB support:                ziped
> Kylix 3                           1.6 MB  672 KB
> FPC with smart linked units (-CX) 1.8 MB  708 KB
> FPC without smart linked units    2.1 MB  777 KB

This could be caused by Kylix being able to some
more advanced types of smartlinking due to own linker. (e.g. vtable
optimization)

If your binaries use libc, recompiling FPC with dFPC_USE_LIBC might bring
-the size down a further 10-40k.

But I think these size differences are irrelevant and peanuts. I don't see
what advantage 200k brings.

> Compile time with Delphi/Kylix is much faster.

True, and much more important. This and debugging will remain for some time.
Internal linker will improve this somewhat mid-long term.

On win32 the internal linker really matters a lot. Still slower than Delphi,
but a full magnitude better.