[fpc-pascal] Division by Zero - not raised exception

Marc Santhoff M.Santhoff at t-online.de
Mon Apr 17 17:24:25 CEST 2006

Am Montag, den 17.04.2006, 16:52 +0200 schrieb Sasa Zeman:
> Regarding division problem. Florian was precise in explanation (suggested to
> be part of documentation).
>
> > I think even _if_ there is a focus on getting the memusage down (and there
> > is, it is one of the internal linkers objectives), it should be more to
> let
> > Lazarus perform optimally with say 512-1024MB memory, and not to try to
> > squeeze it into sub 128 MB. That would be counterproductive.
>
> Inside total phisical memory of 128MB, Delphi compililation is very fast.
> That mean that process of compilation is optimized to work with available
> phisical memory (at least under 128MB). The same is case with command line
> compiler (dcc32).  I doubt it is contra-productive, on the contrary. Any
> attempt to work with swapfile lead to enormous performance decreasing, which
> is currently case.

That's one reason why development machines should have adequate
hardware. Another is the need of running many multiple processes (IDE,
target program, debugger, browser or the like for reading docs, ...).

> In my opinion, FPC and Lazarus can try to ratioinally use available
> resources, not to force developers or company to buy new hardware. Note that
> many companies still work with relatively old hardware and they are not
> willing for further investments (often mean replacement old hardware with
> new).

If you're talking of commercially working companies, you're wrong. If a
company is not willing to buy some more memory at least but is wasting
the time of the programmers, this company is doing something wrong. The
monthly fee of one programmer should be enough to buy a couple of well
equipped machines once, bored programmers are paid again and again.

And if a company has such big need for having fpc work their way, this
company is free to do some sponsoring. ;)

SCNR,
Marc