[fpc-pascal] how to pass PChar (or any pointer) fromDelphi to FPC ?

Пётр Косаревский ppkk at mail.ru
Tue Apr 4 11:28:55 CEST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonas Maebe <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be>
> On 4 apr 2006, at 11:14, Пётр Косаревский wrote:
> >> How do you transfer these pointers and what are you trying to
> >> accomplish? You generally cannot transfer pointers from one running
> >> program to another. It may work by accident in some cases, but it is
> >> not something you can rely on (even if both programs are compiled by
> >> the same version of the same compiler on the same OS and are running
> >> on the same machine).
> >> Jonas
> > I transfer them as numbers. I work under win32. I transfer them as
> > LParam-s with PostMessage() WinAPI function. Numbers are
> > transferred correctly (I checked it with .messagebox/writeln).
> > I try to have access to the same physical memory (I want to have
> > common read-write variable).
> Each and every process has its own virtual memory space under win32
> (and most other operating systems). You cannot access the same
> physical memory this way (not in Delphi either), you must use some
> Win32-specific functions to setup a shared memory area and request
> the OS to map it in both processes. I don't know how to do this on
> win32.
> Jonas
> PS: in general always reply to the mailing list, unless people

1. Thank you, I was aware of something like that, but I was really looking for a way to setup that shared memory area.

2. I try to reply to the mailing list, but do not always check the "To:" field with autoreply (it's like posting the same bug report twice: just press refresh and you send new report instead of looking at the status of the previously posted).