[fpc-pascal] About reset(aFile, FileNameString)

Lance Boyle lanceboyle at cwazy.co.uk
Tue Sep 13 11:38:29 CEST 2005

"Official" Pascal for opening a file and associating a name with it
(e.g., a disk file) goes like this:

assign(aFile, FileNameString);
reset(aFile); {or rewrite, etc.}

All of the Pascals that I have used allowed the following shorthand,
an extension:

reset(aFile, FileNameString); {or rewrite, etc.}

At least one of these Pascals was not a Macintosh Pascal, so I never
considered it a "Mac" extension. Yet, I can find no possibility of
this in FPC, in spite of its various compatibility modes.

I tried overloading reset() (newbie alert on the overloading thing)
but it didn't work.

What say ye?

Lance