[fpc-pascal] for..in loops?

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Sun Nov 20 14:29:45 CET 2005

Marco van de Voort wrote:

>>>That's because they are quite limited if you have dynamic, non garbage collected
>>>objects.
>>
>>Why? Use them with interfaces if you need garbage collection and it
>>works perfectly.
>

> Because that is not the same. A fully GC language can optimize a lot of
> overhead away. GC duck-taped on a native language is not pretty useful. See

With C++ you end also with ref. counted types in the best case. You
can't do it better. The reason why interfaces are used that those are
the only automated types which can be used to do everything. GC is
something completely different. I don't consider interfaces or
ansistring garbage collected.

> the only big experiment that uses interfaces this way: decal and its
> abmyssal performance.

That's something completely different. Decal's performance is so bad
because it has no templates.