[fpc-pascal] Lazarus and FPC integration

Elio Cuevas Gómez elio at mixtk.com
Tue Nov 1 03:46:15 CET 2005

El Lun 31 Oct 2005 11:30, Micha Nelissen escribió:

> Well, I am aware of the fact that a visual design environment like lazarus
> (and delphi and VB), it's easy to fall into the trap to base your backend
> design on the GUI design. If Eclipse or KDevelop have a solution for this
> problem, then I'd like to hear it, but if they "solve" the problem by not
> being a visual design environment at all, the complete point is moot; then
> it's really unfair to say they're better because they *lack* features :-).

Well, i never said these were better than Lazarus (in fact this is the first
time i even mention them in this list). For me Eclipse is a resource hog and
it's not usable in my computer, so it's out. KDevelop is a nice IDE and is
adequate for C++ programming. I have only use it to develop some small SDL
games and not for GUI, but i have experimented a bit with programming KDE
applications. KDevelop integrates with Qt Designer which is a good Form
editor imho, so i don't know how it *lacks* features.
For Pascal development, KDevelop is a bloated kate, so i just program directly
in Kate instead, much faster, much simpler. Combine with Konqueror and you
get a wonderful UDE (Unintegrated Development Enviroment).
Is this "UDE" better than Lazarus? Probably not, but it's sure flexible. I
know this option is not for everybody, but it pays back.