[fpc-pascal] DLL Linking

Jeff Wormsley daworm10 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 22 04:42:34 CEST 2005

L505 wrote:

>| Note that this is not allowed on Windows XP if your application is in
>| the Program Files directory.  Applications are not allowed or should not
>| write to their application directory due to security restrictions.
>|
>| --
>| Sly
>
>Really? So MS encourages you to write everything to the main drive:\temp
>directory (a black hole) and not your own temp directories? This reminds me of
>the registry. Black hole mania.
>
>So permissions in winxp are set like this as default?? :-(

At least in Pro, and most corporate environments.  User settings usually
go in a subdirectory like:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\<software company
name>\<application name>

Or sometimes, if the installer is set up for it:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\<software company
name>\<application name>

Note the "All Users" folder tends to be hidden.  Also, these paths can
be changed in the registry, so you usually have to use the ShellAPI to
get them.  Permissions on the former are supposed to always allow read
and writes, according to the Windows guidelines, but you'll find
sometimes an admin will lock them read only.

Jeff.

P.S. I've never used this in FPC, but run into it all the time in
Delphi, especially in the more locked down corporate offices, the type
where you have to have an IT guy scheduled a month in advance to get
anything installed and then you have to tell them up front every single
folder and registry key you'll need to read and write to.