[fpc-pascal] alternative source format

Marc Santhoff M.Santhoff at t-online.de
Tue Jul 12 13:43:25 CEST 2005

Am Dienstag, den 12.07.2005, 12:01 +0300 schrieb Rimgaudas Laucius:
> Hello,

Hi,

> the problem is that IDEs like FP and others have no exact
> place where to store compiler configuration switches and
> other program (project) related info. For examle if user set
> switches in FP, they effect all opened units, so there is no
> possibility to configure each unit differently if you do not use
> directives.

Since my IDE is JEdit I'm not sure, but each IDE for pascal I used in
the past had a key combination for inserting the compiler switches in
the code. Wasn't it CTRL-I-I in Delphi?

> That is problem for less experienced users, like students.
> I want to propose an idea of implementation alternative
> source format able to carry all additional information.
> This can be open format realized using xml. It will not make problems
> with conversion to native "pas" format. Additional argument that FPC
> will support UTF-8 soon.
>
> Something like this:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> [...]
> </fpc>
>
> What do you think about this?

If you're a teacher or the like and want to have full documentation in
your source files you might wan't to consider literate programming.
There are many tools out there, one of them I personally like for
writing documentation centric code is funnelweb. This way you can
produce nice documentation containing the well formatted code and
anything belonging to one source project and on the other hand you can
produce nicely formatted source code and even a makefile for compiling.

I don't like the idea of having XML files as a basis. But If you do, how
about writing en extension to the IDE or Lazarus and the necessary
converters as a teaching project?

Marc