[fpc-pascal] Remote FreePascal compile service, feedback requested

listmember listmember at letterboxes.org
Mon Dec 5 22:20:03 CET 2005

Tom Verhoeff wrote:
> I was thinking of adding a remote FreePascal service along the following
> lines.  You go to its web interface, browse for your source files
> (possibly a whole zip archive) on your local machine, enter command-line
> options, and let our server compile your stuff with a (selectable)
> version of fpc (under Linux), then you get back the results (possibly
> also in a zip archive).  Mabye we can support cross compiles as well.

I think this is a great idea.

It takes FPC beyond open source --to being fully open access.

One could, then do coding on a dummy terminal in a hotel room or wherever
without having to carry around a laptop etc. Awesome, IMHO.

> Why do this?  Because that way people can use/try FreePascal without
> installing anything.

This too.

> Here are some questions:
>
>   1.  Do you think this service would be useful?

Definitely. See above.

>   2.  Do you think the interface described above is good enough?
>       Suggestions for refinements would be appreciated.

One thing I would love to have is t have an account and keep my source
files etc there, which would save us both fom the uploading the sources
all the time. And, a simple browser-based source editor maybe :-)

>   4.  Whatever else comes to your mind ...

AJAX based IDE? :-)