[fpc-pascal] DOOM game for FPC

Kornel Kisielewicz charon at magma-net.pl
Sun Dec 4 03:19:31 CET 2005

L505 wrote:
>>Anyway, I took a peek, and by the look of it I have two suspicions for
>>that graphics mess:
>>
>>1. Floating Point operations.
>>2. Floating point comparition.
>>
>>I'm not much of a gamer, but a Doom fan :-P. I even made a freepascal
>>Doom Roguelike game :-P.
>
> So you think Delphi optimizes these operations significantly?

No, I think that the error is in the BSP building algorithm. Original
C-source probably used some float-model-specific optimizations, the guy
who ported it to Delphi converted them to delphi-float-model-specific
results, and while porting to FPC those things got broken. I know that
in the "old-days" there were several machine-wise tricks on floats that
were used for BSP trees, and I imagine that could be the main source of
the problem.

> So you did see walls and bricks rammed into your face when you played too?

Yes.

> It's not just my video card?

No :-). Or both of ours :-D.

> How about the keyboard? Was it sticky and slow? As if you had molasses on it?

Yes.

I wonder how much work would it be porting this code to JEDI-SDL...
Hell, I might even give it a try... tough it seems useless, for there
would be no gain for anyone from that -- we already have several supreme
Doom-clones... :-]
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (adminATchaosforge.org) [http://chaosforge.org]