[fpc-pascal] Embedded ARM system unit

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Aug 24 10:23:59 CEST 2005

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Florian Klaempfl wrote:

> Marco van de Voort wrote:
>
>>> I am in the first stage of creating a system unit for
>>> Embedded ARM. Things are working but I get a lot of
>>> Warnings and Hints (See some of them below).
>>> Should I be worried about this?
>>

>> I see no troubling ones. THe first few mean that generic might not be 64-bit
>> clean, but are probably false. (since generic.inc is used for the 64-bit ports too),
>> the others are simply unused Unix symbols. This is normal, because these includefiles
>> are also used in a few other places (like baseunix), where they _are_ used.
>
> Maybe we should think about a generic embedded rtl which is configurable what's
> included.

I think this is a good idea. Maybe create a system unit which has simply a set
of handlers (very much like the Managers we use for heap, widestring
etc) which can be set by a drop-in unit. We can then provide a drop-in
unit which creates a set of handlers based on the C library.

If a handler is not implemented, the unit can simply throw an error.
Even this could be handled by the drop-in unit...

Michael.