[fpc-pascal] Freepascal 2.0 for cygwin

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Aug 17 09:13:24 CEST 2005

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, L505 wrote:

>> By the way, how would one compile Pascal code without a Pascal
> compiler? No
>> magic script file will avoid the need for fpc.
>
> I asked this question on C2 wiki once..
> I guess you could start by hardcoding a binary program from scratch in a
> text editor with your bare hands. Then you have the meaning of life,
> birth, the big bang, creation, etc.
>
> Did FPC originate from a turbopascal compiler, or a Gnu C compiler? Or
> bare assembly? or bare binary ?

The initial version was compiled with Turbo Pascal.

Later FPC was used to recompile itself. Now you would no longer be able
to compile FPC using FPC, because it uses classes, which TP didn't
support.

When going to a new platform, you'll always need to cross-compile.
But this is the same for any C compiler.

Michael.