[fpc-pascal] Freepascal 2.0 for cygwin

Matt Emson memsom at interalpha.co.uk
Tue Aug 16 21:41:06 CEST 2005

> Is there some posibility to make (compiling) fpc without fpc?
> Is there some makefile or script in fpc (cvs) to avoid to use a fpc
> 1.0.0 or 2.0.0 to create a fpc new version?

Cygwin runs exclusively on Windows machines... FPC has a Windows port.
Whilst I can see the point of a port to Cygwin, I seriously can't understand
why you can't use the Windows compiler to bootstrap the compiler. Cygwin is
just a bunch of DLLs and support binaries at the end of the day, and
creating a minimal bootstrap implementation using the Windows compiler,
whilst not trivial, is the simplest way of doing it. Am I missing some
reason for not using the Win32 compiler?

By the way, how would one compile Pascal code without a Pascal compiler? No
magic script file will avoid the need for fpc.