[fpc-pascal] Known issue with 1.9.4 [2004/05/30] for i386 on Linux?

David Emerson dle3ab at angelbase.com
Wed Sep 29 23:17:53 CEST 2004

I believe that your code is being interpreted as:

(NOT fmt[i]) in ['0'..'9']

instead of the intended NOT (fmt[i] in ['0'..'9'])

Pascal's rules for parsing logical expressions differ from the standard rules of the propositional calculus (i.e. modern symbolic logic). Thus, this behavior is "by design" -- you'll have to use those extra parens -- and don't bother filing a bug.

Incidentally, I happen to agree with your assesment that this is a bug, in the philosophical sense -- but it was designed that way by Nicklaus Wirth, so we're stuck with it. It's one of a few flaws in what's really a very beautiful programming language.

~David.