[fpc-pascal]Porter stemming routine for FPC

Alan Mead cubrewer at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 23:33:08 CEST 2004

Porter stemming is an approximate method for removing
English-language endings from words ... for example, to match 'happy'
and 'happiness'.

I found a website on tartarus.org that purports to be Porter's
website and has a Delphi 5 implementation of his word stemming
algorithm.  But I cannot get it to compile because of errors in
inline asm code (about which, I know nothing).  So, I thought before
I rip that out and re-implement.. *if* I'm even capable... I would
check if anyone has already done so or otherwise has an
FPC-compatible Porter stemming routine that I could use.

Alternatively, I also have a Perl version which looks simple enough
to port, it's a series of regex's.  But when I run testreg1.pp
compiled with 1.9.4 on Linux, it looks like regex support is broken:
error near 1000 index:0 len:0 ...

Many thanks,

-Alan