[fpc-pascal] Freepascal on Mac

Aleksey Vaneev inlists at voxengo.com
Sat Oct 23 22:06:05 CEST 2004

Hello Jonas,

Saturday, October 23, 2004, 6:41:59 PM, you wrote:

>>   The question is: will moving to Freepascal permit me to compile my
>>   programs for Macintosh platform without severe hassle?
JM> I don't know. That depends on whether you have a lot of endian-specific
JM> code, whether you use much Windows-specific functionality, whether you
JM> rely on the 80bit precision offered by the extended type on 80x86, etc.

I understand this point. Of course I'm going to stick to Single/Double
floating point formats and I'm not relying on Windows and
platform-specific things like RDTSC too much.

>>   My goal is to be able to have the same program I have for Win32
>>   compile and run for Mac just by switching compiler's target.
JM> Even if something like that would ever be possible, note that such a
JM> program will have little if any success in the Mac market.

I was mainly thinking about developing 'slave' kind of modules - they
have little to do with general UI. All I probably need is mouse and some
key input.

Thanks to Peter Vreman for Lazarus link. It looks like a helpful
thing. However I wonder about its Mac compatibility - not too much
Mac-related info is there it seems.

--
Best regards,
 Aleksey                            mailto:inlists at voxengo.com