[fpc-pascal]writeln in win32 gui application

Matt Emson memsom at interalpha.co.uk
Mon May 10 11:38:01 CEST 2004

> Compatibility with Delphi.

With Delphi, you only get a console window if you do one of two things
(other than create one yourself, that is..)

1) You explicitly compile as a console app. *Any* GUI app can be compiled as
a 'console app.. This is done through a command line switch, IDE option
(project options) or by a compiler directive.
2) You spawn a subprocess that opens one and don't ask the console to be
hidden.

I personally think the proplem is one of naming (Borlands fault) and that it
should be "GUI with no standard I/O" and "Console/GUI with Console Window".
There is of course a *third* mode I think is missing. This is the one most
C/C++ apps have if you include stdio.h or iostream[.h]... That is a standard
I/O mapped, no console opened. If you run *in* a console you see the output,
but if you run via Explorer, you don't. Useful for debugging IMHO. From what
I understand with this conversation, the rewrite creates this mode.... Hmmm
useful ;-)

Matt