[fpc-pascal]writeln in win32 gui application

Vincent Snijders vslist at zonnet.nl
Mon May 10 00:18:48 CEST 2004

On 9 May 2004 at 12:17, Peter Vreman wrote:

> At 11:55 9-5-2004, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >The following program gives run time error 103. If I uncomment the
> >rewrite line, it runs ok. Is this a bug or feature? If it is a feature,
> >can somebody explain, the reasoning behind it.
> >
> >program guiwriteln;
> >
> >{$mode objfpc}{$H+}
> >{$apptype gui}
> >
> >begin
> >   //rewrite(output);
> >   writeln('Test');
> >end.
>
> When running in GUI mode the output and input files are not opened so there
> is no console window. With the rewrite(output) you explicitly open the
> output file and force the console window.

Well, that is the funny part. If I add the rewrite(output) the output file is opened (no crash
and I can do writeln's), but no console window is opened either. Just the situation I want.

Now I want to know why it isn't opened by default. The drawback of opening it (the
console window) doesn't happen. The output just seems to be ignored. (Good thing,
because if you want to see the output, you should compile as a console application.)

Vincent.