[fpc-pascal]win32 make install error

Vincent Snijders vslist at zonnet.nl
Wed Mar 17 19:17:07 CET 2004

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 13:01:24 -0500
kractor <baron.kractor at cogeco.ca> wrote:

> i've managed to (mostly) work out the problems i had building latest
> cvs. make cycle runs nicely, make all completes w/o crashing, but when i
> attempt a "make install" the following happens ...
>
> c:/pp/bin/win32/cp.exe -rfp tests/* /pp/examples/fcl
> cp.exe: cannot remove old link to `/pp/examples/fcl/Makefile':
> Permission denied
>
> cp.exe: cannot remove old link to `/pp/examples/fcl/Makefile.fpc':
> Permission de
> nied
> make[3]: *** [fpc_exampleinstall] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `C:/CVS/fpc/fcl/db'
> make[2]: *** [db_exampleinstall] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `C:/CVS/fpc/fcl'
> make[1]: *** [fcl_distinstall] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/CVS/fpc'
> make: *** [install] Error 2
>
> however, after this fails i can type ppc386 -i from anywhere and i get
> the following which leads me to believe that everything went ok ...
>
> Free Pascal Compiler version 1.9.2
>
> Compiler Date  : 2004/01/04
>
> not really sure that these errors are something i need to be concerned
> with, but i wouldn't think an error that causes the install process to
> terminate is something i should ignore ... :)
Recently I switched to windows xp for building from cvs. I had also these kind
of troubles, except it stopped the installation. So compiler where updated, but
it failed on updating the error message files, and there no fresh rtl was
installed, which was troublesome. You think are have up to date libraries, but
instead you are still working with the old ones.

I found out that the files, which cp.exe couldn't overwrite were marked
read-only. So I removed the read-only flag from all those (installed) files and
from all the file I had downloaded from cvs. WinCVS default to checking out
read-only, which is not the 'right' way.

Maybe this solves these kind of problems for others too, so I send it to the
list so that it can be found in the mailing list  achives.

Regards,
Vincent.