[fpc-pascal]feature request: enhanced "pos"

David Emerson dle3ab at angelbase.com
Fri Mar 5 23:07:12 CET 2004

Dunno if this is the right place to post such a message, but here goes...

I would love to see a "pos" function that takes an additional parameter, being the position in the string where it should START scanning. e.g.:

my_str = 'Hello, everybody... Hello, world!';

//        123456789012345678901

x := pos ('Hello', my_str, 6);

So it starts scanning at position 6 (after the first Hello) and finds the second Hello at position 21; returns 21.   (not 21-6)

Passing it a starting position 2 (instead of 6) would also skip the first Hello, and return the same 21.

(( Of course, passing it a starting position greater than the length(str) - length(target) should return 0; also it should return 0 if the target is not found between startpos and the end of the string. ))

This would save so much processing time spent doing delete and copy!

Cheers,
David