[fpc-pascal] Cooperative Mult Tasker under DOS with FP

Marc Santhoff M.Santhoff at t-online.de
Thu Jul 1 01:39:42 CEST 2004

Hi,

Am Mi, den 30.06.2004 schrieb Jérémie LEFRANCOIS um 14:05:
> Where would I download a free OS/2 (possible ?) and a free LINUX both "stripped
> down" as you say ? Or they have to be installed and the GUI never started I
> suppose...
> I found "TINYLINUX" somewhere , yet what do you suggest ? Of course the latest
> Red Hat is out of scope...
>
> Getting the whole thing to work on LINUX might imply more work than getting it
> to work under DOS, so that option is not my first choice, but seems advisable
> in the end of the process, to have a "safer" multitasker.

You might want to take a look at PicoBSD (stripped down FreeBSD for
network router and the like, fits one one floppy disk):

http://people.freebsd.org/~picobsd/

I don't know if it is maintained in any way, but a year ago I had it
running on a i386/40 with 16 MB RAM.

Another source to mention: Somewhere deep down in my archives there
should be an old multi-threading code for Delphi 1 (in words: one) for
16 bit Win3.1. Maybe this can be adopted to use in fpc-console mode. It
is written around a task switching core in assembler code wrapped into a
Delphi 1 TThread implementation. It's origin has been the "white ants"
website, the creator of early "modelmaker" that has been absorbed by
Borland-Inprise-Borland Inc. a while ago. The sorting example code from
Delphi 2 - do you remember the three windows with red vertical lines? -
was backported by white ants and worked fine.

Searching would take some time, though. But I'll do if there is a chance
to see the porting results to dos or whatever with my own eyes. :)

Bye,
Marc