[fpc-pascal]XP=extreme pain in the butt

Alan Mead cubrewer at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 01:34:23 CEST 2003

--- "A.J. Venter" <ajventer at direqlearn.org> wrote:

[Alan explains that the install crashes on his new XP machine]

> Perhaps you should try to run the installer with XP's "windows 98
> compatibility mode" - should find that under the properties sheet
> for
> the app - there's a '95 mode as well.
>
> I don't know if this will work/help at all, I don't use windows, a
> friend who does pointed it out - but he doesn't code so he
> obviously
> never tried it for FPC.

This didn't seem to have any effect but when I ran it from a command
window, I could observe an error message so I submitted a bug report:

http://www.freepascal.org/bugs/showrec.php3?ID=2692

Is it terribly difficult to install FPC manually on Win32?  Are there
registry settings?  Or is it just getting the targets and patterns
right?  I still have my old win98 machine that ran FPC reliably...
Could I just copy the relevant directories to my XP machine?

-Alan