[fpc-pascal]fork with forked program

Matt Emson memsom at interalpha.co.uk
Tue Sep 16 14:55:16 CEST 2003

> Multithreaded applications share the same memory space.
> Forked applications are truly separate applications, they have a different
memory
> space.

Got you. So the correct term would be 'multiprocess'. I always forget that
UNIX considers processes to be seperate to threads. BeOS does things
slightly differently. We have the notion of 'teams'. A thread belongs to a
'team'. All threads are effectively light weight processes. However, and I
forget the exact reason, a team is not an exact equivilence to a UNIX
process.

> So the term 'multithreaded' doesn't apply. If you want to share the
> same memory space, you need the 'Clone' function in linux.

The wonders of 70's inspired technology ;-) Fork sounded sensible, but clone
sounds a bit like it does something completely different. Ah well....

Matt