[fpc-pascal]opening files from a text list

Alan Mead cubrewer at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 29 19:10:22 CET 2003

Donald,

What happens if the "Mighty Ducks" or the "White Sox"--or my
favorite, "Eat at Joe's" play?  The compiler reads strings just fine
but you as the programmer need to understand data types.  You also
need to understand your problem.  Parsing arbitrary and possibly
inconsistent psuedo-English sentences is a very, very hard job and no
compiler is going to get it right.

That said, I suggest you check out regular expressions.  I believe I
saw a regex support somewhere for FPC but I haven't used it with FPC.
   They are the technology for making many (but not all) simple
parsing problems easy.  In order to use regex's, you'll see that you
first have to have a good grasp of how you want data parsed.

-Alan