[fpc-pascal]FPC on older linuxes?

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Fri Nov 14 10:51:19 CET 2003

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Rainer Hantsch wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I want to ask if it is possible to run the latest 1-2 versions of FPC on
> really old Linux systems like SuSE 5.2 (2.0.33 kernel) and/or if there is a
> way to get this working.
> Currently I stuck with FPC 1.0.4, because I am unable to use newer versions on
> old SuSE's. So I would even have to do everything twice, or stay on these old
> version.

All FPC versions should run on all linux versions - unless you start linking to
C libraries, in which case you *may* have problems. The oldest version I
have FPC running on is SuSE 6.1.

> Another question belongs to GUI programming (Linux, too!).
> A lot of things are/have_been done to make FPC working in some manner with
> GTK+, but it is extremely complicated in usage, so I currently prefer either
> to use Kylix (when GUI is a *must*) or I write ncurses apps in FPC (I love
> small and fast apps, so this is my favorite).
> Is there something which makes life easier with GUI? - But again, this must
> also work on old SuSE 5.2, so this is a sub-point to the above question.

Use lazarus.

http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/

Works faster than kylix and is 100% FPC. It works _very_ well on linux.
(and soon on Win32, it seems)

And it uses GTK in the background :-)

BUT: It needs the latest FPC and C apps - so you may experience problems
when linking. This is unavoidable - you'll have to bite through it.

Michael.