[fpc-pascal]Writing a file splitter for very large files.

Jim Wilson jawilson at ix.netcom.com
Wed May 7 18:36:28 CEST 2003

At 10:51 AM 5/6/2003, you wrote:
>I need to write a method to split very large files (8Gb and up) into
>chunks which can later be concatenated back into the orriginal.
>
>The chunks would need to CD-Size (e.g. around 630MB's).
>
>How could I handle this ?
>Does FPC support opening files that size ?
>If I were to open the file, then read and copy through byte by byte,
>would that work ?

I had written a program like that back in the DOS days. Basically, I did a
bunch of blockread/blockwrite sequences, reading from the original and
writing to the "temporary" file.

The old source might still be around, if you're interested. Doubt it would
compile with FPC though, because I wrote it a few years ago.

Regards,
Jim