[fpc-pascal]Lazarus +FPC

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri Mar 28 15:15:42 CET 2003

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 23:54:48 +1000
James Mills <prologic at prologitech.com> wrote:

> > > Why can't Lazarus be run with just the normal FPC compiler anyway ?
> > > Why does it have to have a specially built compiler ?
> >
> > In general, there is no reason, just that always small problems pop up
> > when a large project as Lazarus is made.
> >
> > Delphi incompabilities and  recompiling problems (circular reference)
> > that are dectected and fixed after a release have been the usual reasons
> > for requiring snapshots.
> >
> > Though the amount of problems seems to decrease with each new fixes
> > version, and I hope that trend continues
>
> In future will we see Lazurs start to work with the normal FPC compilers
> without the additional need to download and install the a specially
> built compiler for it ?

This is always the goal.
In fact the last recommended compiler for lazarus is nearly 6 months old. As
soon as the offcial 1.0.8 is there, it will become the recommended compiler.
There are some remaining bugs in the current 1.0.7, which would be nice, if
they could be fixed before releasing 1.0.8: typeinfo for single and double.
If no one is doing that then I will send a patch for it.

Of course from time to time there will be 1.1 snapshots on the lazarus site
to push the 1.1 development. But they will never be required for lazarus.

Mattias