[fpc-pascal]cross compiler potential ?

Nikolay Nikolov nickysn1983 at netscape.net
Sun Jun 29 11:37:39 CEST 2003

Harald Houppermans wrote:

>Hey wait a sec.
>
>What s the difference between binutils AS.exe and NASM...
>
>It seems NASM is for 8086x and AS is for all kind of processors, is that
>correct ?

Nasm uses Intel-style assembler syntax, while AS uses AT&T, but that
doesn't matter when you only use them as a compiler back-end. The reason
I thought using Nasm with fpc would be easier is because you don't need
to compile a cross-platform version as you have to with the binutils. I
mean you just download the nasm binary for windows (or the dos version,
it doesn't matter) and it can produce object files in different formats,
including linux ELF. But then again, it doesn't matter, since you've
already got AS running, and nasm doesn't have advantages over AS, when
only used as a compiler back-end. :)