[fpc-pascal]The state of FPC (was: Synapse for FPC)

Michael A. Hess mhess at miraclec.com
Thu Jul 24 17:20:17 CEST 2003

Matt Emson wrote:

> Michael - if none of your developers look at the Delphi source code, I
> shudder to think at the standard of programming they produce. I've
> never met a professional programmer who doesn't at least look at
> headers/interface sections of code to understand how a routine works.
> Not doing so is completely alien to the way I work normally, and I am
> not alone in this either.

You may not be alone but you are in a very small minority. I have been
coding in Delphi since 1.0 and can never think of any reason why I had
to look at the Delphi code to do my own coding. They only time I had to
dig into it was when I wanted to determine how Delphi did something that
I wanted to match in the LCL.

With your practice how do you use third party tools? In most cases they
do not include any source to look at. How would you use 'C' libraries or
ActiveX or code in Visual Basic. It is an interesting thing to do to
look at the original source but to use it for your coding practice seems
very strange to me.

As MVC already stated in most cases FPC users don't even install the
source so what would they have to look at in the first place.

As was also stated you are using the mind set of a single platform
development tool. FPC is not a single platform development tool and can
not be viewed in that fashion.

This can be talked about back and forth for a long time but I think it
is safe to say that this isn't *AN ISSUE* this is *YOUR ISSUE*. You are
free to use a different tool that is more to your liking.

Phone: 570-388-2211  Fax: 570-388-6101