[fpc-pascal]Synapse for FPC

Matt Emson memsom at interalpha.co.uk
Tue Jul 22 11:45:56 CEST 2003

> I've been cooperating to get it to work with FPC. It's one of the
> few suites that doesn't require threads and/or message pumps. So it was
> better suited to work with FPC, till we have sufficient support for
> threads and the like. (scheduled for 1.2)

Is it synchranous/blocking or asynchranous? TCP/IP without threads is an
interesting idea, but I wouldn't like to have to use it. I don't see how it
could be usable in a real life app.

TCP/IP is, by definition, only really suited to a multithreaded environment,
otherwise one of two things happen. Your app blocks till it gets a packet
and locks the GUI in the process, or your app has to do everything
asynchronously and adds an order of magniture to the complexity of your
event loop. You'll end up with the horrible mess that was Winsock on Win3.1x
in the second scenario.

Mind, maybe I've just been spoilt by working on Windows and BeOS ;-)

Matt