[fpc-pascal]Linux RedHat v.8.0, fpc and Characters Set output.

Alex Dingle adingle at crud.net
Tue Jul 1 14:43:02 CEST 2003

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 09:36:55AM +0200, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 arturogr at gorsa.net.mx wrote:
>
> > When using a character: ej. chr(254) and others, the "Terminal" window (in
> > X mode (Graphic mode) using "startx") in Linux RH 8.0 show a "?" instead
> > of the apropiate character.
> > What is happening ?
> >
> > Same occurs when running the "FreePascal IDE for Linux v. 0.9.0
> > 2002/04/30", the caracters arround the windows are "?".
> > Out of the X mode, those characters do not appear. And I have deteccted
> > that the BACKSPACE character is "equivalent" to a HOME character when key
> > pressed (strange).
> >
> > How to make this things to be enougtly compatible with the "Win32" version
> > of FP ?
>
> Use the -F switch. Or set the VGA font in your x-term.

The -F switch?  What does that do?  (looking at the man page, I see many
varients of -F)

You can find several appropriate fonts for X at:
http://members.optushome.com.au/emikulic/misc/cp437.html

Also, from the linux console you can enable cp437 (which
supports IBM extended graphics characters) by running :
charset G0 cp437

For best results be sure to set your TERM environment variable to ansi
(export TERM=ansi in bash).

-Alex