[fpc-pascal]FPC vs. GPC

Andreas K. Foerster akf1 at AKFoerster.de
Tue Jan 28 16:43:54 CET 2003

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 03:12:11PM +0100, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> True. There is pretty much no point in that, since the Pascal standards are
> effectively dead. (Borland 99.9% marketshare)

Well, well... and who needs HTML standards when anybody uses Microsoft
products anyway...  I hate that argument!!!

> > FreePascal supports just one dialect,
>
> FPC supports both BP as Delphi syntax.

Okay, then I say "the dialects of just one company".

> This is nonsense. Either one uses systemspecific extensions or not. This works
> for both FPC and GPC.

That's not what I said. I said GPC hasn't that much systemspecific
extentions.
That can be seen as disadvantage or as advantage.

> > What I really want would be a mixture of both!
>
> Then there is only one option. Work on either of them. Both projects
> have manpower shortage, the difference is how they handle that.

Well, may I port FPC units to GPC?
May I put them to their archive, even if no porting is necessary?

> GPC hardly knows any Delphi dialect features, and those are
> the strong point of FPC (most of the development in language after
> 1997 deals with Delphi extensions).

Well, I never worked with Delphi. So maybe GPC is really better for me.
BTW. the name FreeDelphi would fit better then.

> var i : integer = 0;
> in Delphi mode.

Okay, I've overseen that.

--