[fpc-pascal]FPC vs. GPC

Andreas K. Foerster akf1 at AKFoerster.de
Tue Jan 28 16:57:25 CET 2003

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 11:06:53PM +1000, James Mills wrote:

> it's quite compatible with standard pascal

Oh, there is still a lot missing, even from the unextended standard.
For example conformant arrays, internal files, filebuffer variables,
global GOTO's(?)
Procedure variables are implemented, but not in a compatible way.

Okay, that's of course difficult to implement. That's why I only
mentioned differences, which I thought are more easy to implement.

> and I disagree with most of what you say above.

Please be a little more precise.

> FPC to my knowledge was created as an alternative to Borland Pascal

Okay.
As such it's a very good compiler.
But that dosn't mean, that it should keep their limitations.
Borland Pascal also was never fully Pascal compatible.
I think that's why they changed the name to Delphi.

> People like
> myself that have been using pascal for many many years will not be happy
> to find that pascal now has a new syntax.

Hey, I don't want anything to be dropped, I want it to be extended!

--
Tschuess
	Andreas