[fpc-pascal]Graphics woes

Mon Jan 27 21:52:27 CET 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, John Coppens wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:19:56 +0100 (W. Europe Standard Time)
> Michael Van Canneyt <michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be> wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, John Coppens wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all...
> > >
> > > I've been needing quick & dirty graphing capability, and I'm missing
> > > the old graph library. I know - I have the graph lib working, but the
> > > frequent swaps in and out of X11 are not really very comfortable.
> > >
> > > As is, I have not found any elegant solution to the problem. I'm that
> > > needy I am considering implementing some kind of graph lib that
> > > actually opens a new window under X11 and uses that window to plot -
> > > still maintaining compatibility with the ol' graph lib. Maybe in some
> > > kind of client/server relation. It would be nice to have the text
> > > window still active... Does something like this exist? Sound
> > > interesting?
> >
> > This exists. Try the ggigraph unit. It is a graph unit that uses GGI to
> > do the actual drawing. It will open an x-window under X11, but will work
> > with svgalib when on the console. Maybe also the framebuffer, I don't
> > know that.
>
> Hi Michael...
>
> Thanks for the info. I installed libggi and libgii, as these were
> necessary to link ggiGraph. Made a small test program, but it doesn't
> seem to recognize or accept any of the driver resolutions. I tried with
> the normal D8bit, D16bit (and several other) graph driver constants, all
> return moderange hi = lo = -1.
>
> I nosed around in the ggi sources, where other constants are defined, but
> these are not visible from ggiGraph.

[cut]

> I cannot find much progress in fpGFX 'cept some reference to its being
> 'really beta'.

It would not work in a 'graph' way anyway.

> Is there any example code for ggiGraph lying around to start testing?

No. in principle, the unit should work like any graph unit.
Looking at the ggi docs, I would say you need to set a GGI_DEFMODE
environment variable.

I tried running it, but the first draw statement crashes the program.
No-one is maintaining ggigraph at the moment. Feel free to debug it and send
us patches; it would be good to get it working again.

Michael.