[fpc-pascal][Fwd: Re: [wdosx] Future of WDOSX]

Aitor SantamarĂ­a aitor.sm at wanadoo.es
Wed Jan 15 11:41:39 CET 2003

Hi,

In the list of discussion about the WDOSX DOS extender, this interesting
question has been raised. It is about legal issues with the LGPL license
and the linkage to propietary code. As FreePascal has been directly
mentioned, and I am subscribed to both lists, and quite interested in
the topic, I thought it would worth to post this item here, to see what
people has to say about it. The next forward contains quite a good
summary of what has been happening after the announcement that WDOSX
developers may be thinking of distributing WDOSX under the LGPL license.

Aitor
=====

I noticed that if you go to the FreePascal project at http://www.freepascal.org/ and go down
to the Licence section at the bottom of the page it says "The packages and runtime library
come under a modified Library GNU Public License (LGPL) to allow  the use of static
libraries when creating applications."

This may be worth investigating because it seems that the static linking of the WDOSX
code described below is the primary sticking point that has been raised in this topic.

Cheers

Garry Wood.