[fpc-pascal]How to process pictures?

Rainer Hantsch rainer at hantsch.co.at
Wed Jan 8 07:54:18 CET 2003

Hello!

Because I received not one answer to my earlier question, I want to repeat it.
Please, be so kind and give me some help. I am an absolute novice with working
with images, so any help is welcome. -- THANKS!

What I want to do is writing FreePascal Programs for LINUX which can work with
pictures (reading/writing JPG files to/from memory in a usable form). With
'usable', I mean that the picture should be easily accessible, so an
array [x,y,color] would be a good choice, I think. (Color = 0..2 for R/G/B)

How can I read a jpg file into such an array and decode/uncompress it hereby?

If there are some ready made libraries available which produce a different
(but known) output format, this will probably be a good start and possibly
save a lot of work. - Which libraries do you recommend? HOW can they be used
from FPC?

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Another step (coming much later) will be to make the textmode program
displaying the image on my X-Desktop (KDE). Is this very complicated? Does
somebody have an example program for me which shows a simple way of opening a
graphical window and show a picture inside, or, maybe, white a complete GUI
application with an OOP (Non Delphi) model?

Again: I never did that before. I also do not know which libraries are the
best for easy coding. Some say OpenGL, others say Qt, ... I don't know any of
them and I also don't know their advantages and disadvantages.
Because I do not want to do many exotic things (only standard programs
looking like YAST2, i.e.), I will prefer the easier to code solution.
Maybe, somebody has written a wrapper unit, offering handy procedures which
are translated to the more or less complicated library calls in the
background?

Please, leave me some information.

Thanks in advance

 mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch

|      \\|//              Ing. Rainer HANTSCH  -  Hardware + Software |
|      (o o)              Forget Windoze! -- We focus on L-I-N-U-X... |
| Ing. Rainer HANTSCH |  mail: office at hantsch.co.at                   |
| Khunngasse 21/20    |   www: http://www.hantsch.co.at               |
| A-1030 Vienna       |   tel: +43-1-79885380    fax: +43-1-798853818 |
| ** A u s t r i a ** | handy: +43-664-9194382   UID-Nr: ATU 11134002 |