[fpc-pascal]Classes/Objects/Pointers / Pointer Help

Anton Tichawa anton.tichawa at chello.at
Wed Feb 12 05:18:01 CET 2003

Hello, John!

> can also contribute eg a (non OO) FP test unit? if you like. Any ideas
> about how to define the 'features' to be tested? Regards John

***
procedure define;
begin
  lock;  // (?)
  brainstorm;
  ..
***

well, my first contribution to a brainstorming of features to be tested is -

* DETERMINE SYSTEM STATUS ..: the test program should determine and evaluate
the status of installed compilers / ides on the given system, without write
operations e. g. to the mass storage media. things such as missing,
misplaced, misspelled, .., or ambiguos configuration, e. g. in the file
fpc.cfg, should be mentioned on the screen. upon user intervention - and also
timeout is a user intervention - the status should be first saved and then be
overloaded with a new one that seems appropriate to both user and tester. but
that's not really important at the moment. the important thing is that the
saved stati - those that didn't seem appropriate at the moment - are the most
valuable thing of free pascal from a certain point of view. this is the
output of the tester program, the bug list, and will help answer any question
that may come in the future. i'm talking about, well, excuse my poor english
here, fehler (d) = errrors (e) (?), because in every such "thing" is one bit
of truth that will surely be reconsidered as free pascal development
continues. no bug must be lost, or so .. uh.

anton tichawa.

"Adas Methode war, wie sich zeigen wird, Tagträume in offenbar korrekte
Berechnungen einzuweben."

Doris Langley Moore: Ada, Countess of Lovelace (London 1977).

Anton Tichawa
Volkertstrasse 19 / 20
A-1020 Wien
mobil: +43 664 52 07 907