[fpc-pascal]Unit Graph with Linux (Knoppix) or alternative unit

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sat Feb 1 14:34:48 CET 2003

> I've got a question again :)
>
> I get the mistake, which is described in the FAQ under my Knoppix
> >Why can't the linker find "vga"?
>
> >This error typically looks like this:
>
> >Free Pascal Compiler version 1.0.x [xxxx/yy/zz] for i386
> >Copyright (c) 1993-2000 by Florian Klaempfl
> >Target OS: Linux for i386
> >Compiling test.pp
> >Assembling test
> >Linking test
> >/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lvga
> >test.pp(6,4) Warning: Error while linking Closing script ppas.sh 5 Lines
> >compiled, 0.2 sec
> >

> >This error is not an error in the installation of FPC or FPC itself, but
> a missing >Svgalib library in your unix install. Please install the
> required library using your >favourite package manager tool
>
> For Knoppix boots from CD, I don't think it is not possible to install
> such a package in this path. How can I get this working? (or is there any
> other Unit that allows the use of a PutPixel function in an easy way?
> A special GTK Graphic Widget was good, too.)

Don't link dynamic, link static. Make sure libvga.a (self compiled is best,
otherwise look for a svgalib-devel package or so) is somewhere where the
compiler can find it (like the current dir).

I had some problems with this (when I created a static IDE), which I solved
by post editing link.res, removing the -lvga line, and adding the libvga.a
line with full path there.