[fpc-pascal]Random generator

Florian Klaempfl Florian.Klaempfl at gmx.de
Sun Dec 7 11:19:34 CET 2003

Alan Mead wrote:
> My version of Linux includes a /dev/random.  Is there any way to use
> this to get better random sequences.  When I cat this device, it
> looks like it runs out of data pretty quickly, but I bet it would
> make a series of fairly random seeds...

/dev/random is very random, it's gets it's data from an "entropie pool"
which is filled using the random times when hardware interrupts are
triggered. Because this pool has a limited size and only a few hardware
interrupts per second happen, this random generator runs quite fast out
of data. There is also a "non"-blocking random device which uses a usual
random generator when the entropie pool runs out of data, but I don't
remember it's name.